Already in the early 15th century, the most important inns for merchants and coachmen were located in the Taborstrasse, which led directly to the city gates. The Hotel City Central’s charter dates as far back as 1729.
In those days it was known as ‘Weißes Rößl’. A little less than 70 years later, in the year 1798, the Weißes Rößl appeared in Vienna’s first-ever hotel guide, the Wiener Kommerzialschema. Shortly after the turn of the century, the hotel was completely rebuilt and did not reopen until 1921, this time called the Central Hotel.
Finally, in 1990, the Central Hotel was acquired by the privately owned hotel group of the Schick family and was reopened as a 4-star hotel named City Central after substantial refurbishment. Thousands of guests from all over the world call the City Central their home away from home in Vienna.